Friday, February 27, 2009

Tracking the Stereotyping...One Long Day at a Time

Monday 2/23/09
Race & Gender in the Media
Law Center 6:00pm 
Dean discussed racial hardships in metro OKC area growing up
Racial Stereotypes

Monday 2/23/09
South Park re-run ("The China Problem" season 12)
Racial stereotyping against Chinese people--the way they talk, their communist ways, etc...
Racial Stereotypes

Tuesday 2/24/09
Marketing 3013
Price Hall 10:30-11:45am
Topic of women's buying habits compared to men, and how they are stereotypically the bigger spenders
Gender Stereotypes

Tuesday 2/24/09
Discussion with Roommates
My apartment 10:15pm
Talking about politically correct terms for races/ethnicities, i.e., Mexican vs. Hispanic vs. Latino
Racial Stereotypes

Tuesday 2/24/09
YouTube Video: Demetri Martin
My apartment 11:00pm
Racial slurs about minorities/foreigners and their accents
Racial Stereotypes

Wednesday 2/25/09
Beatles Seminar
Catlett 1:30pm
Discussion of stereotypes of Beatles fans...raging hormonal teenaged girls
Gender Stereotypes

Wednesday 2/25/09
White Chicks (DVD)
Friend's apartment 11:00pm
Inter-racial relationships, calling doorman Taco Bell, etc...
Racial Stereotypes

Thursday 2/26/09
Car Radio: Animals by Nickelback
Driving home 1:15pm-ish
Singing about girls in a sexually degrading way
Gender Stereotypes

Thursday 2/26/09
Snapped TV show (Oxygen)
My apartment 7:00pm
Gender stereotypes about sexual assault and women lashing out (pent-up housewives)
Gender Stereotypes

Thursday 2/26/09
Dark Knight (DVD)
My apartment 10:30pm
Rachel is weak and can't take care of herself (Harvey makes her hide out in Bruce's penthouse)
Gender Stereotypes

Friday 2/27/09
MTV Online Music Video 12:30pm
Sexual innuendos degrading women and women dressed in skimpy clothing for his choosing pleasures
Gender Stereotypes

I was slightly surprised, not at the amount of stereotyping, but just how many places it occurs. It seems like everything I watch nowadays has stereotyping. But I guess I was surprised by the amount a little bit because I think our society just tunes it out so much anymore, because it never goes away, that we simply are immune to it in a way and think nothing of it until we are forced to pay attention to it. This assignment was definitely eye-opening. It made me more aware of my surroundings. I was also taken back by how much I learn and discuss these issues in classes as well. I had several instances, just in this week in classes that discussed something about racial or gender matters. They may not have been 'stereotypical' discussions, but the fact is that it came up in conversation. 
I was not considerably affected by my experiences of the racial and gender stereotypes. I am a pretty open-minded person, and I tend to take things with a grain of salt. So I did not particularly take offense to, say, the images I saw on 50 Cent's video. I believe it is degrading to women and gives them negative images, but what can you do? I am only one person, I cannot change the world...although, at times, I wish I had that power (as most of us do). 
I think that with all continuous images representing stereotypes it makes people believe things that aren't true. Some people may not experience other cultures and actually know what they are like, and only see them for what the media portrays them to be. This is crippling to our society because if the only thing people see is what someone else wants them to see, there is no other way to prove that is not correct. It is like making up a lie, and then telling it enough that you start to believe it yourself. It is never a good habit to get into.

7 comments:

  1. Tania, I felt the exact same way when I saw the images. When you say that it is "crippling" our society, that is such a bold way to put it but I truly don't know if there is any other way to put it. I would like to imagine a time when people would be seen for who they are rather than just the way they look but the reality is that stereotypes have become a crutch for our society. It is easier to fit somebody into a category rather than depict them the way they deserve to be depicted. It is like we, as a society, don't want to be challenged by characters who move beyond their gender or racial stereotypes. It is as if we actually would rather see these things. The media works for its consumers, and as long as we just sit back and take it then nothing will really change will it? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tania! I agree with you. When I did this assignment I was really surprised by how easy it was to find the stereotypes also. I guess I have just tuned it out as well so I haven't really paid attention to it. Also, I completely agree with you about how the continuous images people see makes people believe things that aren't true. I think if people see something enough, then they will eventually believe it. I think this is especially true with kids because they are so impressionable. They are still learning so I think they need to be taught values at a younger age. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your article is very well versed, and I agree with you in that if I could change the way the media and society views race and sex, I would. It was interesting that you said you didn’t take many of these stereotypes personally, but yet, “with a grain of salt.” It makes me wonder why you have developed this harder outer shell, if you will. Was it a mode of self defense you developed throughout life, perhaps protecting yourself, subconsciously, from others?

    In respect to your 3rd paragraph, I had an interesting conversation with my roommate the other night about this subject. I’ve spent a lot of time reading and studying the causal events behind 9/11, studying Islamic culture, al-Qaeda, etc. One of the many reasons why they dislike Americans is because of our media. They don’t dislike, per say, Tom Brokaw, but instead they dislike the secular views portrayed by our media. While I am not in line with many Middle Eastern views, I do agree that our media tells a lot about our culture. And, unfortunately, it shows us to be materialistic, entertainment driven, and prone to sexual and racial stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw you commented on my blog, so I decided I'd come look at yours! Just like you, I am completely surprised at how many places stereotyping occurs. It happens all around us everyday, and until now, I haven't ever realized it. For instance, one of your examples was the Dark Knight scene where they tell Rachel to hide in Bruce's apartment so that she will be safe. I have watched this movie several times and it never really occurred to me that the men had stereotyped her as a helpless woman who can't take care of herself.

    People are so immune to stereotypes to the point where it has become part of our culture. It will be very difficult to break people of the stereotyping habit because we have all grown up doing it even though we may not be aware of it. It makes me so mad that women's buying habits are so criticized in comparison to men's. I know many women, especially the women in my family, that know how to spend their money wisely and don't just go and spend hundreds of dollars on shopping sprees weekly. Women on shows like the Housewives of Orange County and New York City are so angering. This show portrays women like the only things they know how to do are spend their husband's money. Plenty of women make a good living for themselves and are nothing like these women, but because this show is on television people watch and stereotype that women are like this. So frustrating. Anyways, I'm going to stop complaining now! I wish we could rid the world of stereotyping, but unfortunately, this will probably never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you on the way the world perceives stereotyping today. How rude comments tied up with judgment has developed into a white noise in the background that society accepts as the norm in this day in time. Like yourself, I too take what others say like a grain of salt but when one doesn’t correct the general society/ media on the matter of stereotyping then our society does begin to feed into that vicious circle of lies where stereotypes are formed in the first place.

    Women are portrayed as sex objects or anything else that gives the impression of "serving." I don't know how many times a guy (whom I've just met) asks me what my major is and continues with the, "You're in college for the "MRS degree..." the first time I heard this I responded with no actually PR (not even knowing what he meant by MRS) when he was actually stating that I was in college to find a wealthy husband and I can just be a stay -at- home wife. I don't think so!!! I've heard this line used on several other girls and it is plain insulting. However women are only useful for "cooking, cleaning, and pleasing" according to the stereotypical society.

    ReplyDelete